Sunday, March 19, 2017

just hooking ...

I know, it's been awhile since I posted - no exuses.  March came in like a lion and hasn't quit roaring yet.  We have more snow now than we had all winter and just recently it's been topped with ice .... I'm very much feeling 'cooped up' since it's too icy to walk - to walk anywhere let alone to actually take a nice long walk.  To add insult to injury DST arrived - for the last 13 years we lived where DST was not observed and enjoyed it.  I've been tired all week and I blame the time change.  

We've been out to the cabin a few times but there is still too much snow to do anything there - with the March snowfall the snow that was ankle deep is now knee high.
 
I've been keeping myself busy and for a change from sharing unfinished stitched pieces here are a few of the things I've hooked and actually are finished .....




some facecloths, a soap saver, and can covers.   I was trying out different stitches and sizes for the facecloths - I like a seven inch square.  The blue can cover is actually hyacinth and pale green.  The can covers are quite simply a chain that fits snugly around the can and then whatever stitch(es) you want till it's high enough; for some great ideas and instructions have a look here - I love all the colour Lucy uses.  These are water chestnut cans and were the perfect size.  

I'd like to learn to make soap - that doesn't require lye.  A pretty bar of soap along with a pretty crocheted face cloth would make a nice gift to give although perhaps not to receive.


if you can't be kind .... be quiet







9 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Kate, your crocheted pieces are all lovely. That is something I would love to learn how to do -- crochet.

I am still trying to adjust to DST. I wish they would pick one or the other and leave it alone.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Jenny said...

I can't crotchet either! I even went to classes but couldn't manage to get the hang of it.
Hand made soap and one of your pretty wash clothes sounds like a lovely gift to me.

Carol said...

We have had more winter the past week than we had all year, too, Kate. Thankfully, it was warmer this weekend so we only have patches of snow left, but I am more than ready for spring to arrive :)

Loved seeing your crocheted pieces--you certainly have been busy! Hope you get all rested up and are beginning to enjoy this extra daylight in the evening :)

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful crochet work, nice to do in the winter.
I don't know why, but DST hits me harder in the spring than fall, actually harder to fall asleep and I wake up too early, lol.


Debbie

kupton52 said...

We had several days of temps in the 70's in February and have had the coldest days of this winter since March has arrived. I, too, am having some issues with Daylight Savings Time...I like it after I get used to it, but it's the "getting used to it" that I'm having difficulty with. Blessings to you...and I hope your days get warmer soon. I really like your crocheted projects...very nice....

Anthea said...

Great work there Kate, I'm sure it's frustrating not being able to get outside... usually it's the heat here in summer that keeps me in, not snow in winter!

Anonymous said...

love your photo of all the crochet you've been up to.
Especially the bright pink & turquoise ^^

Anonymous said...

What a great quote at the end! I'm 100% in agreement with it, too. =) You've been getting a lot of crochet done! With spring officially arriving today (though we already passed the day here where the day and night were the exact same length and day is gaining now!), your weather has to start warming up, and that snow melting at the cabin! When do you hope to go back for am extended stay?

I have a friend who makes soap and other products, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't use lye. Her products have always been soft and sweet smelling. I don't know what the process is, but it's out there! I think it involved glycerin, so you might search for glycerin soap and see what comes up.

Brigitte said...

Such a lot of snow in March, brrr, not what I love but we had that in the past, too, fortunately not too often.
Your hooked pieces are all looking so great, it' s fantastic what you can do with your crochet hook and some colours.