Sunday, January 6, 2013

keeping busy ....

With the hustle and bustle of Christmas over with it was time to find other things to do and this is some of what I've been  up to ....

Clockwise from the top are fabric bookmarks, a journal cover, lavender sachets, a table/candle mat and a pair of pillow cases.  The bookmarks are quite popular and I only had two left to show off.

I used our bread maker for the last time the other day - we knew it was on it's last legs but we were still sad to see it go ... I do believe we've had that machine for 20 years and it was used regularly.  We only used the dough cycle and the last 'loaf' that it made was beautiful but when I took the dough out of the machine it looked a bit bluish grey so the investigation was on!  Turns out that the grease in that bottom thingee had leaked through to the pan and become well mixed into the dough.  I dumped the dough into the kitchen garbage can where I discovered sometime later that it had continued to rise ....that was interesting.  Fortunately, we were prepared for its demise and had purchased, last fall, a food processor that could mix bread dough and it did a mighty fine job! 

8 comments:

Carol said...

Wow! You've sure been busy, Kate! Lots of cute projects and a great way to use up scraps of fabric.

Sounds like you are quite a bread maker!! We only use ours on Christmas morning when we make our cinnamon rolls. I fear if I used it more often I wouldn't be able to waddle--homemade bread is my weakness :)

Mii Stitch said...

Lol! It must have been quite warm in the kitchen bin :) My bread maker is on as I type. It's working on a "pain de campagne" which we will have this evening for tea with a lovely mushroom soup!!! I love your little patchwork candle mat!

sew.darn.quilt said...

Oh my...I'm picturing something from "The Blob" oozing out of the waste bin Mwahahaha...lurking about your kitchen ;D Good thing you had a backup machine!
Love what you've been up to and those bookmarks are the cat's pajamas, I love 'em!

Emma/Itzy said...

Hehe! I have an image of the dough oozing out of the bin taking over your kitchen! lol. I would love a bread maker, nothing better than fresh warm bread :)

Anne said...

Yummy ! I haven't made bread for over a month. Great idea! Thanks!! Love the items you've done, you have such talent!! Happy Day to you!! :)

Valma said...

so beautiful pieces you made Kate
I love the bookmarks ! such a good idea
your fabric for the pillow cases is really pretty
very well done =)
and any news from the blob in your bin ?? =D
Is it still alive ? hehehehe
big hugs
xxx

Tangos Treasures said...

Love what you have been working on!!! Bummer on the bread machine :(

Sharon said...

Those are such adorable projects! Too bad about your bread machine, but glad you have a food processor that will do what you need!