Tuesday, April 22, 2014

opening the cabin

While driving home from our first trip to the cabin this year I was mulling over what we'd seen, what we'd done, and the photos we'd taken wondering if there might be an interesting blog post somewhere in there.  That led me to thinking about the ice going out - it happens so quickly and did you ever wonder where the ice goes .... one day it's there and the next it's gone.  It's interesting where our thoughts take us because that led me to thinking about that time many, many years ago when I was a volunteer at one of our local  Personal Care Homes (we've had 3 long distance moves since then).  I usually met with the same residents - they were the ones who were willing to do or try anything and we became good friends.  It was at one of these gatherings that I was introduced to quilting and, as they say, the rest is history.  The lone fella who participated in everything had quite a good sense of humour and a keen mind  and was confined to a wheel chair.  Knowing we had a cabin he was always interested in what was going on there and one spring he asked if the ice was out and where did it go ... a good question and one that none of us had the answer to.  Do you know where the ice goes when it breaks up? 

Here are a few pix of cottage country and as you can see Spring is VERY late arriving this year .....



.  



8 comments:

Timi said...

Spring IS really late there...
We had a very warm Easter holiday here, with lots of sunshine! It felt like summer :o) And now looking at your photos and see the ice and snow! WOW! It's incredible!!!
I wish I could send you some sunshine there! :o)

Unknown said...

Hopefully Spring is just around the corner for you with it's sunshine and warmer weather.

I have no idea where the ice goes - I just assume the water levels rise initially and then recede once the warmer weather comes.

Carol said...

What a beautiful view from your cottage even in the snow and ice, Kate! Sure hope things warm up for you very soon--it's been very up and down here temperature wise!

No clue on your ice question--I imagine the water levels just go up in the lake :)

Jo said...

I assume that as the ice comes originally form the lake it goes back into the lake with very little noticeable difference. We in England have had some really warm days, but are never sure it means the end of winter

Anthea said...

Hi Kate - yes I am wondering now about the ice...
Living in Western Australia, I don't face such issues... but I sure would love those views sometimes!!

Valma said...

Can't believe you still have that weather :(
We haven't seen one single flake this winter !!
I sincerely hope you'll have a warmer weather very soon, you should be fed up !
Around the cabin it seems to be so beautiful , even with ice and snow ;)
maybe the ice is going somewhere to refresh a drink, where they have too much sun :D
big big hugs my sweet friends
xxxx

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Spring is very late here too. May 6th and most of the lake (Buffalo Pound Lake in SK), is still covered with ice.

luli said...

Bella domanda! Un abbraccio
luli