Tuesday, July 17, 2018

good 'ol summer time .........


In my last post I mentioned we had finally received some rain - that 1/2" ended up being 4" over 5 days and was well received - the weather continued hot and windy and the moisture disappeared very quickly.  This past weekend saw a cold front come through - we arose two mornings to 10C - going from 33C to 10C  is quite a ride.  ^^

This year we harvested our very first zucchini at the cabin - usually they all abort - wasn't sure whether to preserve this one or eat it - nah, it was an easy choice to eat it!  I stirfried it with onions, garlic, mushrooms and chard (fresh from the garden) - yummo!


The buttercup squash is on steroids - one of the vines has taken off through the bush and is heading towards the road - for now we'll let it wander and see how far it goes.  I was surprised at the shape of these squash - then I realized I had purchased buttercup seeds rather than butternut - it's interesting being my age.  ^^



Hum (the hummingbird) is enjoying the scarlet runner bean - it's growing up the side of the verandah about six feet from the hummingbird feeder - it's most enjoyable watching the Hums visit all the flowers and then sit and take a long drink from the feeder. ^^
  




I've been crocheting for Fall - any guesses about what I might be making - they're mini - it's not much of a hint. ^^


11 comments:

Jenny said...

How wonderful that you have your own little garden at the cabin. As for your new project, are you making a bunch of vegetables?

Ann said...

Your garden is looking great. We keep having rain in the forecast but have yet to see any. The lawn is getting quite brown.
No clue one what you've been crocheting. Look forward to seeing it

Needled Mom said...

I'd love to get a rain like that. Yeah for the squash. It sounds yummy too. Love that aggressive climber.

WoolenSails said...

Our weather is just hot and muggy, but we will have a few days of cooler air, so I will enjoy that. Your gardens are beautiful and squash do grow all over the place. I planted some tomatoes this year and they are coming in now, so can't wait for them to ripen.

Debbie

butterfly said...

Lovely veg ,and your stitching looks great.

Claire said...

yum yum on all your veggies.
and is you little stash of yarn to get ready for autumn? maybe crochet a few falling leaves?

Maya Kuzman said...

We already experienced such a drop at the beginning of summer! It could be tough!
I am just about to publish a post of DIY crocheted flower bookmarks, perfect for lefties. Maybe you find them interesting to crochet one or two ? :)
Have a fab week!

Robin in Virginia said...

No guess, but the yarn colors are really pretty! Your stir-fried veggie meal sounded yummy. Your buttercup squash plant is looking good.

Carol said...

Sounds like your summer is going well at the cabin, Kate! I'm guessing that you are crocheting apples or acorns?

Brigitte said...

Somehow I envy you for the cold front and the 10° you were having. It must be sooooo delightful to go outside in your t-shirt and to start shivering. I'm dreaming of that at the moment. We've been having around 30° for weeks now. Without a/c it's a bit strenuous because the house becomes hotter and hotter with each day. I just hope for a cold front like yours.
Your plants are looking so great, I think the rain and the colder temperatures are doing them good for a while.

Susan said...

From that to snow on the ground! Seems like only yesterday, right? =)