Friday, January 18, 2019

apparently ....


 


Apparently an Arctic outflow is responsible for the chill in the air today - with the windchill it is -40C which is the same as 40 below F - the temperature itself is only -30C.  The good news is that this cold air brings lots of sunshine with it which we're enjoying.

I made this quilt block early last month with plans to turn it into a cushion cover - unfortunately, Christmas and the flu got in the way.  It is one block from a Christmas Quilt by Lorna.
Her instructions are excellent.  I stitched this one entirely by hand just to see if I could - I enjoyed the hand stitching so much that I'll be doing it again. 



I enjoy making soup and it's especially enjoyable when it's cold outside.  This is what was in today's  soup pot - an easy recipe that cooks up quickly and is delicious  - based on this recipe . 





 from out of darkness and cold,
the light and hope return


8 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh my!!! That is COLD! Eat more soup! Cover up with those quilts too! Sweet hugs!

Needled Mom said...

Oh brrr....and I'm complaining of the 50s! Your red bird is just darling.

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful block and it will be a nice piece to make for next year.
That soup looks good, I do enjoy soup in the winter.

Debbie

Ann said...

We're expecting extra cold weather from tomorrow until Monday. Soup sounds good

Robin in Virginia said...

Your cardinal block looks fabulous, Kate! I look forward to seeing it in finished form. We are expecting freezing rain before the blast of cold air. Stay warm!

Timi said...

-30C??? It's freezing!!! Even just the sound of it!
But the sunshine sounds good :o)

Carol said...

Your cardinal block is so pretty, Kate! I am glad the hand stitching went well, too and that you'll be doing more of it :) Oh, that soup looks perfect for our cold day... thankfully, not nearly as cold as you are getting! Hope you are enjoying some creative time inside during this cold spell ♥

Evi Erlinda - Brain Plasticity said...

I can't imagine the temperature below -40C.
Soup looks delicious.
take care