Sunday, August 29, 2021

yolo . . .

 A while back I read a newsletter that mentioned YOLO - seems it's the new trend.  I was curious what YOLO could be - haha, turns out it is an anachronism for You Only Live Once.  This just so happens to be my fella's  favourite expression.  The YOLO trend pertains to all the shopping that folks are doing now that the pandemic is winding down (?) and shopping with the attitude that You Only Live Once.   ^^

This summer I frequently felt dumber and duller and I've heard others say the same thing.  It's one thing to entertain oneself and another to keep the wheels turning with face to face socializing.

Anyhoo, I've read lots of books, enjoyed the sunshine, did a bit of stitching and crocheting.  It was such a HOT summer that we didn't spend a lot of time at the cabin (no AC) but enjoyed the covered patio and central air in our new place.  

All the Windows updates had slowed my laptop down to a snail's pace and after months of frustration I bought a Chromebook - what a good decision that was!  I love the speed of it and actually have no complaints with it.  Perhaps it was a YOLO purchase.  ^^

The sunflower sampler is a design by Pinker n Punkin . . .



some people feel the rain - others just get wet (bob marley)


all our visitors bring happiness - some by coming, others by going


the biggest difference between money and time - you always know how

much money you have, but never know how much time you have





13 comments:

Jenny said...

YoLO is a bit like FOMO, fear of missing out, where people decide yes, they really need to buy this and that, on the internet these days while we are in lockdown.
Pretty little cross stitch, she has some lively designs, and is happy to share them.

Needled Mom said...

I had not heard the expression before. I’ll have to remember that. I just ordered a new computer to replace my dead one. I rather dread spending the time to set it up. Darling cross stitch.

Ann said...

That's a good saying. I think that I'm finally beginning to realize that too. I've been treating myself more lately and deciding it's ok to spend a little more on myself when I have it.

Claire said...

I don't think the pandemic made much of a difference on my spending since I shop on the internet, and that was up & running throughout ^^
Pleased your new Chromebook is making you happy. I wouldn't call that a Yolo buy though - more of a necessity in this day and age.

Clare-Aimetu said...

It has been a tough time for everyone but there is a danger now we will all go full pelt I to doing stuff we feel we should do so we don't miss out. Over the last 18 months I've read about people learning new skills and it can make you feel you should have done/do more .... I'm just so glad to still be here. My saying would be ... be yourself, do what makes you happy ... and that may still be staying home safe, wearing masks and only going to quiet places x x

Robin in Virginia said...

Good morning, Kate! Always good to see a new post from you! We have spent a good bit of time inside with the A/C running as well. I hope you enjoy your new Chromebook. Have a good week!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

That's fun, YOLO!

WoolenSails said...

It has been hot this summer, that or rain. We are starting to have cooler nights so that is nice. I look forward to getting out for hikes again, so fall is fine with me.

Debbie

Chantal said...

Love your little mini cross-stitch. It looks so small but it's beautiful. Yolo has been around here for quite a while, way before the pandemic, 3 years ago maybe. Yolo is to make the most of your day, but shopping is accepted, haha. Enjoy the Chromebook. ;^)

Carol said...

What a cute sunflower pillow, Kate. That Melisa sure is talented and so generous with her freebies. I'm actually glad summer is coming to an end... the last couple of mornings have been cool and I rather like it :)

Susan said...

I love your sayings at the bottom. Some for a smile and some for thinking about. YOLO - It's tempting to shop 'til I drop, but on the other hand, I drop fast these days!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I've heard of that saying for a while. But I'm more of a "saver for a rainy day" than a "blow it all today" person.
The sunflower is very sweet, a nice little pillow.

Maya Kuzman said...

YOLO was quite a hit with my daughter when she was in high school and to me it was like an excuse for (an upcoming) stupidity to be done :) Luckily, the YOLO period died down eventually, with no harm done to the executioner's physical and my mental well-being, lol!
Love your sunflower cushion, Kate! It's gorgeous!