Tuesday, December 10, 2019

one of those days ...

Carol asked me to share the table mat from my last post - it's one that I posted some years ago - what's old is new again - I cannot locate the original blog post and therefore cannot tell you whose design it is.  :{







Do you ever those days when you wonder if you're losing it - I seem to be having more of them than I used to - yesterday was one of them!!!!!  It began with looking for the above table mat so I could take a photo of it - hmm, not here, not there and doesn't seem to be under anything - ohh,  there it is under the basket of mini lights!  I remember where I put things when we moved in here but can't remember where I put them a month ago when I sorted through and combined  'bins'.  I was looking for the Christmas towels - they could only be in one of two places - nope, not in either - I knew I hadn't given them away -  eventually the light went on -  aha, we brought the blanket box home from the cabin for extra linens, etc.  - yessirree, that's where the Christmas towels were - and the blanket box is in a closet so it's not in plain view.  ^^  Last week I made some Christmas Crack - we ate some - the rest was stored away .... so, where is the Crack that I stored - I did eventually find it - told my fella to remember where it was.  lol   The day seemed to go from bad to worse - I haven't shared the half of it.  ^^ 

The other day I sorted through all the x-stitch pieces that I have and decided I should start doing a finish on them - some will be left for making cards - some left me wondering why I had stitched them.  Yesterday I was having a lazy day and did a finish on two of them - burnt (or is it burned?)  my thumb with the hot glue - the ornies are hanging on the tree now ...

 the fairy is from Lucie Heaton and
Snowflake Deer is from Daffycat


Today is starting out ok - first thing this morning I put on a pot of soup and made a batch of our favourite shorbread - here's the recipe:

(Food Processor) Shortbread
2 cups flour
1/2 cup fruit sugar*
1/2 pound cold butter, cut into 8 cubes

[* if you don't have fruit sugar, process granulated (white) sugar for a few seconds to make it finer]

- Put sugar and flour in food processor and pulse for a few seconds.
- Add butter and pulse for 30 seconds or till fine crumbs form (stir through to make sure no large lumps of butter remain).
- Process till mixture clumps together into a ball.
- Put into a 9x9 pan, press out evenly over bottom, prick all over with a fork.
- Bake @ 350F till firm and lightly brown (anywhere from 35-60 mins - in a pyrex pan in my current oven 35 mins. is sufficient).
- While warm cut into squares; cool in pan; keeps well in covered tin.
DELICIOUS!
(This is an old recipe from Canadian Living Magazine)



This is the book I'm currently reading - and enjoying - every time I pick it up it's like putting on my favourite, comfy slippers - I really like the Rebus character - and he is a character ...





And last but not least 'book art' - I made a book tree - thanks to Maggie - how clever is this - there's a link to the instructions on her blog ...



i haven't forgot ...
i just can't remember!


9 comments:

Timi said...

I love the Christmas table mat!!!
I know the feeling of forgetting something...:o) But you found everything!!!
Have a nice week!!!

Jenny said...

I LOVE homemade shortbread! But absolutely HATE hot glue, or working with any sort of glue, actually. Think I'm just too clumsy to work with glue.
Hope your day got better as it evolved.

Ann said...

I have days like you were having more and more. Love the table mat. That book tree is a very clever idea. I can remember making birdhouses out of Readers Digest magazines when I was a kid. They were done in the same fashion as this except you used the entire magazine.

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful mat and your new stitcheries are wonderful.
My grandmother used to make trees from readers digest, always loved those.

Debbie

Carol said...

I enjoyed your nice lengthy post, Kate :) THe mat is darling--thank you for showing it for me! And your book art turned out great--I should have my son pick me up an old book at the thrift shop so I could try that. Have a great day!

Robin in Virginia said...

Love the table mat, Kate! And your ornaments are adorable. Interesting on the book art! Enjoy your day!

Needled Mom said...

lol...who doesn’t have days like that? I love the tree book.

Maya Kuzman said...

It happens to me too Kate. The forgetting part. My mind is so heavily burdened these days, it is incredible how I keep sane!

On a brighter note - the mat is beautiful as is the fairy! That one is adorable!

Carin said...

Beautiful projects. I too made that book, I saw it on the vlogmas from Gayna on youtube ;-)