Monday, January 20, 2020

going green with bento bags ...

I hadn't considered using a Bento Bag for produce, etc. but why not.  I happened to have some bandannas on hand and using one meant I didn't have to finish the edges - plus it's lightweight - would be so easy to make with a serger!!  ^^  This bag can be left open for the cashier to see what's in it or to check the bar code and then I can tie it up when I pack the groceries.  I'll keep you posted on how successful this is - a lot will depend on the cashier.  A couple of weeks ago I had a coupon for a free item - there were three varieties to choose from and we chose our favourite - at the check out, as I was packing the groceries, I noticed she left the coupon on the item - I pointed this out - she said I can't use it - I asked why - she said you need to buy the new variety.  I didn't argue but did a return on the item - when there is just one cashier and a long line up of impatient shoppers I try not to hold up the line.  At home I re-read the coupon - it says valid on any variety.  This particular cashier is one of the better ones at this supermarket - I was disappointed.









You will find good instructions here and here for making one of these - you can make them any size you want.  On the first site she also shows produce bags that were made from old sheets and gives the dimensions of the ones she makes.  I love the colourful bags on the second site - might be a good way to use up some of my stash.

Some years ago I made my first Bento Bag from an old linen table cloth - it has come in handy for many things including an overnight bag. ^^  This one is a bit different as the corners were not tied but stitched together and a gathered piece of fabric used to cover the join - makes the bag roomier.




I was able to try out the Bento Bag and the drawstring bag at the supermarket before publishing this - both worked well - the bar code was visible - the cashier was not bothered - they get a thumbs up (so does the cashier  ^^).  The Bento Bag needs to be bigger than the one I made (about 19" square) but worked well for a few bananas.  BTW I use fabric tote bags for the groceries.  ^^
  

see a challenge as what it can do for you
not what it is doing to you


8 comments:

CheerfulMonk said...

That's a great idea! We use reusable grocery bags but still use the little plastic ones for fruits and vegetables, and always recycle them of course.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What great ideas! I love using bags for my groceries and we recycle everything! Thanks for the links!

Chantal said...

Thanks for the links. I'm really interested in making this kind of bag for my groceries. I was using fabric bags long before it was in fashion. Cashiers didn't like me and I didn't care. Back then I was working for the insurance business and lots of clients didn't like me either, so I was use to it. Anywho! A lady at the Artisanat Club did a regular bag with old lace for her produce shopping. It doesn't add a lot of weight on the scale. I was thinking of using the very thin fabric I have in my stash that never get used in the quilts. Every little bits we do help. ;^)

WoolenSails said...

Great idea and a great way to use old bandanas.

Debbie

Ann said...

Great idea and a good way to recycle cloth items you have around the house. With the new register systems if they scan the coupon their register should tell them if the coupon can be accepted or not. The regisger will recognize what items have already been scanned and if the item required for purchase isn't there the register will deny it.

Robin in Virginia said...

Kate, thanks for sharing your reusable bag ideas.

Carol said...

A very helpful suggestion, Kate. We are trying harder and harder to not use anything plastic. Baby steps, right?

Maya Kuzman said...

A great idea Kate! I have a fabric grocery bag which proved to be to small on so many occasions I am thinking of sewing a really big one with faux leather I have had for more than a decade.