Wednesday, January 15, 2020

zero waste ...

It's not easy being environmentally conscious these days but I try hard to have zero waste.  A trip to the supermarket can be very challenging to avoid packaging - perhaps it's easier in a big centre but in a small town it's tough.  I decided to try making my own produce bags and this is what I came up with - not as transparent as it should be but a trial run will see how it works - if successful I'll make more.  If I leave the top of the bag open before it goes through the scanner that should make the cashier's job easier and hopefully not annoy her too much.  I made this one with French seams but a flat felled seam would work well and a serger would make it very easy - my serger is at the cabin.



 There has been fresh snow overnight for 3 or 4 days - light and fluffy and easily moved - shoveling is a breeze (so my fella says) - the wind is creating large drifts - the fresh white is so clean looking and brightens up a cloudy day.

We were at the supermarket quite early in the morning on the weekend - only one cashier was working - she was a student, she was ill - I admired her for showing up for work - did not appreciate that someone who was ill was handling all my groceries.



if it's important to you,
you'll find a way - 
if not, you'll find an excuse

5 comments:

Ann said...

Good idea with the produce bags. We haven't had any snow in a while. I guess we're supposed to get up to 6" tomorrow though

Chantal said...

I like this idea very much. What kind of fabric did you used?

Anonymous said...

excellent idea for zero waste!
hope you didn't let the sick cashier sneeze over you!
claire93

Robin in Virginia said...

Great idea on the produce bags! Look forward to hearing how it worked out! While it is commendable the cashier showed up for work, I wouldn't want them handling my groceries sick either. I said the same to the waitress at the local restaurant the other day. She should have called in sick.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I try to reuse plastic or take my own cotton totes. I get sent a quite a few promotional ones at work which is nice.

Do Americans get paid sick leave? We do but there is still the feeling that you have let your colleagues down as there is usually no-one to cover the shift.